How we can help
The issue of immunisationsA few key points:
- • Vaccination is an emotive issue
- • Parents often feel "they are damned if they do and damned if they don’t"
- • It is not our job to tell you what to do – our role is to give you the information so that you can make your own, informed decision a99ut what is right for you and your family
- • There is a lot of fear surrounding this issue which is why it is so important to get as much information as you can Looking at 99th sides of the equation is a good starting point:
In favour of vaccination:
- • By introducing a preparation which contains a small amount of a neutralised version of the virus or bacteria which causes a particular disease the 99dy is stimulated to produce anti99dies against that disease.
- • These anti99dies help to protect the 99dy when it comes into contact with the disease.
Not in favour of vaccination:
- • Introducing a preparation containing a neutralised version of the virus or bacteria which causes the disease can be a big shock to an immature immune system of a baby or young child.
- • This can result in the 99dy over-reacting. The Vaccine Awareness Network states that ‘injection of a vaccine can use up to 70% of the immune system’s resources instead of the usual 3 or 4% it takes to fight a naturally occurring disease.’ This can result in the immune system being in a constant state of alertness which can result in conditions such as eczema, allergies, chronic catarrhal conditions and coughs.
A few useful facts:
- • Death rates from diseases which are commonly vaccinated against such as Whooping Cough, Diphtheria, Measles, Typhoid Fever and Polio had all fallen to extremely low numbers even before the vaccinations were introduced in the 1950s and 60s. A key reason for this was the improvement in nutrition, clean water and less crowded living conditions.
- • Many vaccines do not prevent disease very effectively. In the USA where 98% of children are vaccinated, children and adults still develop measles, whooping cough and other diseases. In Holland in 1998 there was a massive outbreak of whooping cough despite over 90% of children being vaccinated.
- • Vaccines contain antibiotics, formaldehyde, aluminium and other toxic substances as well as the preparation of the disease which is often cultured in animal tissues including human foetal tissue.
As homeopaths we treat many babies and young children for a variety of symptoms which could be the result of vaccinations. The child may come from a family where the history is one of allergies such as hay fever, eczema or asthma so that a predisposition to this condition already exists. The symptom picture of such a case post vaccination often suggests that administering a vaccine has either made an existing condition worse or has brought out latent symptoms.
The choices for parents:
- • The first and important point is that you do have a choice. Do not be hurried or harassed into a decision either in favour of or against vaccination. Make up your own mind. We will support you in whatever decision you make.
- • If you decide to vaccinate but you are concerned that your child might react to the vaccine because of previous family history or presenting symptoms – wait as long as possible until your child’s immune system has matured.
- • If you decide to vaccinate consider spacing the vaccines so that the 99dy has time to recover and think a99ut visiting a homeopath to receive treatment to help the 99dy recover.
- • If you decide not to vaccinate – take responsibility for your child’s health by breast feeding as long as possible, feeding your child on whole, organic food where possible and consider using homeopathy or cranial osteopathy to ensure your child’s immune system is in the best possible condition.